Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Christmas Insight . . .

Last night I had a decadent meal at the Grand America with an "intimate" group of my dearest friends. I wasn't going to go actually, I was having some lingering issues from the weekend and weeks prior to "the concerts", and thought it'd be best if I just crawled into bed with some Advil PM, Excedrin PM, and/or Tylenol PM and let them take me on a journey into the world of uninterrupted sleep.

But...at the last minute I decided to find something to wear and head to the Grand. And I am so happy I did.

Sometimes I forget what a privilege, honor, and blessing it is to be part of an organization that bases it's success on how many people are able to see and/or hear a performance. The success is not in the money, nor the number of times a recording hits the #1 spot on the Billboard charts (although that's always nice....). No, the success is in the number of people who go away from a broadcast, or concert, or special event feeling more joy, more peace, and closer to their God.

An added blessing of attending this event was seeing and visiting with the friends I've made in this organization...past and present...and being able to sit by the dearest of all.

But as I drove home, I thought about this Christmas season. It has been a rather difficult one for me...and I couldn't put my finger on it until I started thinking about the evening. I was in a room with so many friends who are eager to share their talents and testimony through music, willingly and without recompense. Last night I was reminded of how blessed I really am to be where I am, doing what I'm doing.

Before last night I had lost focus of the TRUE meaning of Christmas. The story behind all the songs we perform. The reason we rehearse and perform and do it all over again each week. I lost focus of the infant born in the most humble of circumstances. The infant who grew in stature and wisdom. The infant who willingly shared his life for us.

For me.

Today I am so grateful I had a long drive last night. I would have missed the whole purpose of this season. And that is more sad than not being home with Mom and Dad this Christmas. The thing is, it doesn't matter where we are, or what our circumstances are, KNOWING why we celebrate Christmas is far more important than how or where we celebrate it.

So to my one or two friends and family who will read this, Merry Christmas! May this season find you filled with more joy and peace, and closer to that babe born in Bethlehem so many years ago. May you and I remember this season all year long.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Well said, oh eloquent one.

Jennifer Lee said...

Love you! Merry Christmas!

russ mark lee said...

I love this. What a cool experience you have to sing with the choir! I LOVE "the concert" every single year.

russ mark lee said...

Oops this is Aubrey. Haha

Ryan + Jess said...

Thanks for your thoughts! It can be easy to forget what this time of year is all about :)

David said...

Carol, I liked your thoughts and hope Christmas is great for you.
Did you know that the timing on when posts were last made that shows up on your blog page has gone funny - like 77 months ago or 7 years ago or 87 hours ago for a post done today.

Rachel said...

Merry Christmas! *There were so many things I could have used 'crable' for, but it seemed too irreverent for such a beautiful post, so there it is. :)