Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Memories . . .

Wow. The reunion that took place Sunday evening must have been one of the most poignant and tender I can think of. President Hinckley's passing has brought a lot of sadness but also joy. Sadness to think that his great "my dear associates" will not be heard from the pulpit this April. Nor will we see his wave with his cane as he walks out of the Conference Center. But joyful . . . his reunion with his wife, and others who have been dear to him.

One of the greatest blessings I have had while being in the Choir has been the opportunity to sing at funerals (only two thus far). This one will be the most blessed as President Hinckley's leadership and love of the Choir and the absolute conviction that we could be better than we are, was felt by each one of us personally. What a wonderful funeral this will be. I am sure—with his keen sense of humor—the family will share experiences that will endear him to us for eternity. I wouldn't miss this funeral for anything!

BYU has a slide show with photographs of President Hinckley during visits to the campus. If any family/friends are interested, here's a young Dallin Salmon shaking the hand of the prophet. Great experience . . . but go to the web site HERE and see all the photos of this remarkable prophet.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Looking forward to the funeral on Saturday. I am sure the music will be beautiful. We always love that Carol is in the choir! It makes us feel a part of it. Pres. Hinckley will be missed.

Tara Fears said...

Nicely Put Carol! I too look forward to the Funeral on Saturday!

Mindy said...

I remember that photo being in their home years and years ago. Thanks for the flashback. What a wonderful man we were so blessed to have for so long!