Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Big 5-0

When I turned the big 5-0 in July, I didn't think there was much to it. Just a no-frills, quiet day away from the usual places**—just the way I like them. But lately I've had a few aches and pains that just won't go away and I've realized the ugly truth.....I'm over half way through this mortal life....and the big 5-0 is really....BIG!

I know it's not as cute as documenting what your kids can do at 1 or 2 or 5 or 18....but I just may need to reference this when I'm sitting in a rocking chair wondering what else I can do besides getting the peas from my plate to my mouth without them falling off my spoon!!

So here's what I can do at age 50:

• I can memorize a song in two rehearsals....
as long as D.W. is not the lyricist!
• I can have an hour-long conversation with my Mom every day 
without getting tired or bored of it....an added bonus is having Dad 
chime in when there's a lull in the conversation!

• I can drive from my garage to the COB parking lot 
in less than 25 minutes....knock on wood!
• I'm pretty good at eating late at night....
although that isn't something to be proud of.
• My sister tells me I am still the baby whisperer in the family....
• My favorite food is Chick-fil-A nuggets....
however a grilled cheese sandwich with Soelberg's Market 
jalepeno cheese bread is a close second.

• I have learned that I am quite capable of choosing a movie, 
buying a ticket, and sitting in the theatre all by myself.
• I can sort out most of my problems during a round trip drive 
to get groceries from a grocery store in Stansbury Park.
• I'm really good at choosing great friends....
but I'm still working on being a great friend in return.

• I'm learning that taking care of this 50 year old body 
really does take a lot more work and commitment 
than it did when it was only 25....
• I am better at sitting through rehearsal without 
talking to my neighbor....I have to be really tired
or in a bit of pain to do it....but that
happens more regularly nowadays.
• I can walk past my kitchen without stopping in to see what's
in the fridge and pantry....at least one night a week.
• I am better at holding a 5-minute grudge. 
When those 5 minutes are up....I'm ready to move on.
• I am confident that my Heavenly Father knows me 
and let's me make decisions on my own because 
He knows it's good for me to learn for myself....
even if the choice isn't the right one.
• I know that when I do make mistakes....our Savior is 
there to help me change my course and move forward.

I could list a bunch of other things...but you get the idea.
I'm not sure what the next decade will hold for me, but I'm certain that I still have a lot to learn. I think the easy stuff is behind me....tying my own shoes, doing my own laundry, learning how to keep potted plants alive (didn't do so well this year on my deck however), foraging for food....that sort of thing.

I just hope that whatever road I take in the coming years, 
it's the one my Heavenly Father has planned for me. 
I know in my soul that He knows better than me....
I just need to work on convincing 
my heart and head that He's right.

Sooooo....check back in 10 years....I'll give you an update!

**Actually, on my birthday I was sitting in a
rather lovely hotel room, eating dinner
with a friend as we worked on a project for a 
very wonderful soon-to-be released fearless leader.

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

I LOVE going to movies by myself.
I still need to try the nuggets at Chick-Fil-A.
I can't believe you can get to the COB in 25 minutes. That's AWESOME.

Anonymous said...

I like this post. And your plants don't look that bad.

Emily said...

I didn't know you turned 50!! And I am so proud of you and all the things you can do at your age. I didn't like thinking about us being half way through life, however. Peas and all, I'm looking forward to more years of fun with ya!