Sunday, October 5, 2008

ONE

The thing is if I'm single, the reality of life is I can't coerce any of my children to check up on me, or take care of me when I'm old and decrepit. Soooo I have to be old and HEALTHY! And THAT is why in the last couple of months I've tried to make lifestyle changes so I can be healthy for the length of my days.

But here is the glitch....who wants to cook something healthy for dinner....for ONE? Or buy healthy vegetables and fruits....when only ONE person is going to have to eat them all up before they spoil? And how many of us can honestly say they like their own prepared salad over one that has been made by another? Even if it's the exact same it always tastes better if you didn't have to cut up all the veggies. The whole idea of a week long supply of leftovers will be saved for another blog.

But back to the salad thought. I have a friend who made a salad when I was visiting a few weeks ago....and it was FAVULOUS! I mean it...it was soooo good I thought I could eat that salad every day for the rest of my life. And then reality hit. My friend doesn't live close to where I live. I'm sure she wouldn't be all that excited if I kept dropping in and asking for that salad. Soooo....I made a salad for myself last week and totally surprised myself. It didn't take long to make, and since I have new plates, the presentation was actually quite lovely. And when I sat down to eat it, it actually tasted FAVULOUS too!

Today after a long—but spiritually strengthening—conference weekend, I came home feeling a little tired, but hungry, and decided to prepare another one of those salads. I actually was looking forward to making it as I pulled all the veggies out of the fridge and started cutting and putting it together on one of my many colored, square-shaped plates. Success again!

Perhaps I will become a seasoned preparer of healthy meals....for ONE!

4 comments:

KLC said...

I feel your pain. Lately I have been inviting people over for dinner just so I can have someone else to cook for. I hope my cooking is okay and they keep coming back or I don't know what I'll do. By the way, nice job in the choir today. My favorite number was the second one you did this morning. I can't remember what it was now, but it totally brought the Spirit and set the tone for the whole day. Do you miss Adam Ward in the choir?

Tara said...

So, what about this yummy salad? Maybe you should post that too! Hey, I heard that all your songs yesterday morning were dedicated to Stephanie and Christian Nielson. Did you know that? Did you know about them?

Em said...

hey speaking of meals, I have been meaning to call you and invite you over for dinner on the 13th, we are celebrating you know what... anyhow let me know, rob and amber and Spence should be there and possibly a guy from mikes work that i guess is craving a home cooked meal.

Jenn -- said...

You should try these, and let me know if they really work.

I'm glad you are on a healthy eating plan. Perhaps you could give your friend Fur some hints.

Does that mean no more of this?? (ha ha)