Saturday, April 18, 2009

Terribly Sorry



There are just SOME THINGS you can't make up for. This is one of them. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY DAD! The funny thing is, I've been working up to this blog for MONTHS! I've been soooo excited about it. And then THIS happens. I kept thinking..."Am I missing something here?" I even had the blog STARTED! Let's just say the "TGA" took more of my attention....

So....Dad....let's pretend it's April 9th all over again shall we? And being who you are....you'll be forgiving and won't love me any less...right?



DAD'S BIRTHDAY BLOG

For those of you who may or may not know my Dad as well as I do...I just gotta tell you about him. My Dad is a "Motto Man". Let me explain...




"SALMON FAMILY CHOIR AT THE READY"
I can hardly think of a Monday when we weren't sitting around in the living room ready for family home evening. Not always happy to be there. And to top it off...Dad would make us get up and sing. Not just sing sitting around the room, no...we'd get up and position ourselves in two lines and sing our opening hymn...without accompaniment most nights. He must have known how much I didn't like that...but just persevered...and what was the favorite? "Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow." Not the most upbeat hymn in the book. But there you go. Who knew back then that by committing to the ritual Monday night Salmon Family Choir practices I would one day be sitting in a "Choir" loft each Sunday morning!



"SALMONS NEVER GET EMBARRASSED"
What was my favorite lesson learned from watching my Dad deal with a potentially embarrassing moment....okay sibs, think back when Grandpa Salmon worked for the funeral home. The family (well MOST of the family) was heading down to Conference. Christensen Salmon Funeral Home needed miles on their limo....sooooo...we traded cars. All of the kids piling in and out at the gas stations or rest stops was a site to see....but the BEST was a real late night at a gas station. Almost everyone was asleep. I wasn't, was it you Laurel who was awake with me? ANYWAY, there's Dad waiting in line to pay for the gas. And he sees that we're watching him so he's buttoning his coat all wrong, and making his wiry hair stand straight up and really making us laugh...while the customer ahead of him is walking out and the attendant is just STARING at the crazy man at his counter!! OH...MY...GOSH!!!! We laughed SOOO HARD!! Dad just smiled, told him he had a couple of kids still awake in the car and was making them laugh. Riiigghhttt....



"AND IT CAME TO PASS..."
Dad taught an early morning seminary class for a couple of years. I don't think I'll ever look at any hardship, or trial, or unfortunate event without thinking of Dad. He always pointed out that "And it came to pass..." was the phrase written most often in the Book of Mormon so it MUST be significant for us today. And it has been. For each of us throughout various times in our lives.



"THINGS WILL WORK OUT"
Harvey/Harvietta. Wheat. Half a beef. You name it, Dad got paid with it. I'd categorize Dad as a country lawyer. I never knew if we were struggling or not because Mom and Dad never let on. BUT I do remember once when a client let us use his boat for a family holiday. The boat died in the middle of Shuswap Lake...nice. So the boys found some paddles and started paddling...nice. Dad paddled too and his glasses fell off...into one of the deepest lakes on the continent....nice. Dad's eyesight is good...WHEN he has his glasses. It was a long week for Dad. But things worked out and we had a great time.



"LET'S LOOK AT THIS WITH AN ETERNAL PERSPECTIVE"
I can't tell you how many times my Dad has brought this up in one of the many conversations we've had. I know it's been enough for me to look at life with an eternal perspective ALL THE TIME. What's a few minutes on earth compared to an eternity with our heavenly parents, our earthly parents, and family and friends whom we love?

So if there's one thing my Dad has taught me that I'm sooooo GRATEFUL for, it's that. An eternal perspective. A vision of something better than we can ever imagine. All we have to do is follow Dad's example by living the gospel, attending the temple, and being a little better each day.



So Dad, thanks for being my Motto Man. I LOVE you sooooo much!!









12 comments:

Carol J said...

I hope it's ok if a non-family member, non-canadian comments on this very inspiring blog post. The very first time (that's a little redundant I know) I met Dad Salmon was at the Tabernacle after a Motab rehearsal. The first thing that struck me was how much he looked like Jerry Ottley. "I've been told that before", was the reply. Since that day... I have learned alot about Dad Salmon. My family has been the beneficiary of some very nice cards, thoughts and meetings (even impromptu lunches in the parking lot between conference sessions,) It was nice to learn more about this very amazing man today. What a lucky, blessed Salmon Family, to have this man as the Patriarch. Happy Birthday, Dad Salmon. And may the Lord bless you with many many more.
The other "Carol" in the non-family Salmon circle.

And the worcue of the day....(ask Carol about this).... I was a little emotional but was in control enough not to "whersobs".

Luv to all you Salmons

Rachel said...

This was a nice change of tone from your traditional "repicali," Carol. Very nice meeting your dad, even if it was through your blog! Happy Belated Birthday to a neat guy.

Diane said...

Very nice blog Carol. I LOVE reading the memories. Thanks Carol. love Diane

Cheryl said...

What a nice tribute. A good reason for blogging. I've shared a birthday party or two with your dad and David over the years--what fun.

Lindy Salmon said...

Ah-ha! Now I finally know the true origin of the "Salmon's never get embarrassed" motto. I guess as of about 3.5 years ago, I never get embarrassed. :)

Rich said...

"Padersu" me, but if you're terribly sorry for posting a belated birthday then I am also terribly sorry and a little sad. My Dad's was late as well. It's such a blessing to have a good dad. One that you know will forgive you for not being prompt right? Thanks for sending me those pictures, what would I have done without you?

Jeanell said...

I feel like such an "addjshole" I keep blogging under Rich's account.

Catherine Marie said...

Carol! That was a very nice blog post about your dad! What a great family you come from!

ps - thanks for the email. My grandma was very worried, she was hoping SO MUCH that your parents would be living in the same place as her. She thinks and speaks very highly of them. I have never met them but I can tell they are wonderful people!!

Alison Margot Lee said...

Ok love it all. Love grandpa. But may I ask why am I in here with a plastic face, a weird wolf shirt and a sick headband. I think I want to strangle the photographer. Love it.

BYU Fish said...

Blogger clarification: "Mom" is not Doris..."Mom" is CarolJ.
Alison, you have a plastic face, a headband, and a random wolf shirt on BECAUSE we had just arrived back from our CANADA TRIP!! I think you are looking quite excellent considering the 12-13 hour drive!

Linda Salmon said...

Carol what a wonderful tribute to Dad. As a daughter-in-law I could have never found a better Father than him. I am glad you took the time to do this for him. I am sure he appreciates it. We do have a wonderful family and I am grateful to all of you.
Love Linda

Jenn -- said...

What a sweet tribute to your Dad. Loved it.

Here is your word: miniism
Something the conference next week is NOT.

Text you Monday.
Love, Fur