
**NOTICE: LIMITED PICTURES AGAIN? WHO READS BLOGS WITHOUT PICTURES? I'll put some up before the weekend...PROMISE!**
Oh yes indeedy! It's Ross' birthday. I can't even remember how old he is! Let me think....if I'm ??, well...he must be....WHAT THE...wow Ross...I don't even want to THINK about your age!!
No...seriously, I'm glad Ross is as old as he is....it gives me more things to remember! His high tops, those funny bathing suits, lots of freckles in the summer, the VW bug, being swung in and out of the van when we went carolling at Christmas time, learning to drive (I won't tell mom), and playing tennis with him and his girlfriend Karen. Mostly, I remembered how much I wanted to grow up to be just like him...how a girl decides she wants to be like her older brother I'll never know...but I did. He was this fabulous athlete. If there was a football team for girls I would have tried out....but there wasn't so I played guard (#33 of course) just like Ross.
Ross got contacts when he was in high school. They were the hard lenses...and while I was still in elementary school I actually put them in my eyes...and succeeded to walk around the house for a few minutes before my eyes filled with tears and I couldn't see where I was going....that and I heard Mom coming down the stairs wondering what I was up to...
When I was older, I guess I still wanted to be like him because my very first car...which Ross helped me find...was exactly like his! A Honda Civic hatchback. When it got rear-ended and totalled a few years after I bought it, he sold me his motorcycle so I could have something to get around with while I was at BYU.
I guess I've finally grown out of that, because I've realized that I could admire the good things he does.

Ross served a mission to Belgium...and he never forgot my birthday. Ross NEVER forgets Mom's and Dad's birthdays, and anniversaries. He's just good that way.
Ross is always willing to "fire up the barbie"...no Haley, NOT the doll, the BBQ...when family and friends are in town. I'm not sure if Karen always knows when the parties are planned, but parties happen and people have fun eating, playing games, or just visiting.
Ross is one of the best paperboys I know...well, he WAS one of the best paperboys ever...until just a few weeks ago. BUT...he's also the best coercer...I have been his substitute a few times...even when I wasn't sure I really wanted to do it!
When I was in their ward, I was the ward Choir director. Ross was pretty darn good at coming and singing with us...even though he was in the bishopric at the time. And actually, I don't think I would have ever known how good of a voice he had if he hadn't come to support his sister!

So on this happy Bday, I just want to let Ross know it's been a lot of fun to have him as my "idol", my landlord (worth a post on it's own...), my priesthood leader, my neighbor, and especially my BIG brother!!
5 comments:
Well I am glad you cleared up the BBQ part for Haley's sake! :) Funny story about the contacts!! I can't believe yo did that. You are lucky to have him as your older brother and I am lucky to have him as my Father-in-law!!
Love ya Pops!!
Thanks for the blog Carol. Happy Birthday Ross! From the only other kids with blue eyes.
I have GOT to get better at remembering birthdays because Ryan is not good at reminding me and we forgot to call ROSS yesterday! Oh boy. Should have checked your blog. I love your birthday posts!!
Nice post about Dad! I learned a few things. Didn't know he ever EVER wore contacts. I just thought he wore ugly glasses all his youth!
Post a Comment