
You either LOVE your next closest sibling growing up or you don't. For most of my growing up years I wasn't sure if I loved my next closest sibling....I think I was jealous actually. Jealous that she was smarter, that she had more friends, that Mom and Dad believed her (well...telling the truth helps A LOT in that area). I was jealous that she could keep her side of the room cleaner than I could keep mine and that her Saturday chores took way less time. I was even jealous that she could keep her Hallowe'en candy for months AFTER Hallowe'en...I've let that one drop. Hard tootsie rolls just don't cut it do they?

When I was growing up I just thought Mom and Dad loved Laurel more than they loved me. But....now that I'm older and wear those really cool "hindsight" glasses, I've realized the truth about my sister.
Laurel is smart. In school she was a "straight A" student because she always did her assignments and studied for tests. Now, she's been taking insurance exams the last few years so she can become some insurance guru in the company. And she does well with each course because she's committed to doing her best...and takes the time to achieve that goal.

Laurel had more friends when she was growing up because more people had babies in 1963. A recent study showed more couples contemplating divorce the end of 1961 and early part of 1962 than any other time that decade. It had nothing to do with the fact that Laurel was fun to hang around with and did crazy things (okay...maybe I didn't find a study with those results...).
Laurel has a high level of integrity. If she says she'll do something, she'll do it. She was always telling Mom and Dad the truth...like who threw Linda's doll against the wall and broke it in half, or who stayed out past curfew, or who "doubled or nothing-ed" her way into debt in a ping pong game. Now her integrity is more than just making sure the punishment was placed on the right set of shoulders.
I can't remember a time when I didn't share a room with Laurel...not until she went away to BYU for a year. And keeping up with my roommate was a hopeless case...I could NEVER keep my side of the room as clean and organized as Laurel's side. She knew where everything was...I never did. I do hear that she's mellowed a little in her "aging" years but really...I look back and admire her ability to keep things orderly.
Laurel completes tasks well. She would get her Saturday chores list, do them, and be gone playing with friends before I even looked at my list. She learned early that a job well done, meant more time to play. And play she did...while I tried to sweep the dirt under the rug...without getting caught.
Now...before I end this "birthday blog", may I just add one more thing about my younger sister? When Mom and Dad sold their home and needed a place to live in a short period of time, Laurel opened her home to them. I have never worried about Mom and Dad and whether they were being taken care of since that move. And it's not only Laurel, but Nicolas, and Jonathan, and Amanda (and Reg), and Carly too. They have been so kind and generous...I can't help but love and admire Laurel in her "adult" years as well for the lessons she is still teaching me, through the love she shows our parents!
So....I hope you had a GREAT birthday Laurel...and just know that I'd look up to you even if you weren't taller than me!! Love ya tons little sister!
2 comments:
This is a GREAT post...I love sisters. I especially love that I don't have to share mine with any other sisters. Funny how I have always looked at Nellie as the one people preferred. She's the "comicati," crafty, fun one to be with. But it's OK...glad I'm old enough to know that. I bet Laurel saw your strengths and felt the same way.
cute. i love my sisters. i really like the picture of you two as babies. it's so cute. hope you're doing well carol.
Post a Comment