Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sweet Canadian Friends

While I was growing up in Calgary, I was taught, and mentored, and molded, and befriended by some rather remarkable women. A couple of weeks ago I took my folks home after a shorter-than-planned visit to Utah. It just happened that I was in Calgary over the weekend and found myself walking into the old ward. And I have to tell you...it was such a great feeling to see these women who have influenced me so much. I walked in with my camera...had stopped to take pictures of my parents new "apartment" on the way to church....so I decided to take a few pictures of some of my dearest friends.

Today I want to introduce you to some of these women:

Shauna Murdock and Sally Pyne


Shauna was my Mia Maid advisor who listened to the promptings of the spirit rather than what she had seen and heard when she called me as her class president. But because she did that, I changed my life's direction...and ended up where I am today. And because she believed in me, I listened to her. She became a wonderful friend who taught me to love music. And to appreciate the dedication it takes to become a serious musician. Oh, and....to LOVE the organ and the beauty found in that instrument. I do love it...ABSOLUTELY. (And can't wait to hear Richard Elliott's organ recital this Friday!!!)

Sally Pyne was in the stake young women's presidency when we first met. Our first meeting was when I was this rambunctious young woman...she says I was to blame for the collapsed tent she was sleeping in at girls camp—I don't have any recollection of that! Whatever happened after that was great for me, because today she is my sounding board. She blows away the chaff of my life and gives me back a better perspective of who I can become.

Sharlene Heninger
(My lovely mother is in the middle...her turn is coming)


Oh Sharlene...she's one of those unique individuals who just tells it how it is. She makes me laugh. She accepts me as I am, and doesn't care if sometimes I forget I'm a grown up...even if she has to give the closing prayer in sacrament meeting and I've been sitting behind her and talking the whole time!

Nadyne Spackman


Well, where do I start with Nadyne? Oh my gosh. Let's just say my first "adult" calling was in a young women's presidency with Nadyne (and Cathy, and Mary, and a few others). Nadyne helped me to see that you can be a leader without losing your spunk and sense of humor. But beneath all the fun, Nadyne has a fabulous sense of faith and hope.

Evelyn Melchin


Sister Melchin was one of the first people who ever told me that I had a wonderful voice. And for some reason I believed her. She is an elegant, wise, and wonderful musician who is not afraid to conduct a congregation the way the spirit of the music dictates. I KNOW that music is in Sister Melchin's soul because of the way she conducts the hymns. I see her spirit through her eyes and don't want to miss a moment of that. To this day I can't walk into the loft before a conference session without thinking of her.

For the women I saw in Calgary a couple of weeks ago....well....thank you. Thank you for helping me remember how often I was surrounded by leaders, friends, and teachers who saw beyond the very rough exterior and helped to bring out a part of me that was good. To you...and many more not written about...I am forever grateful.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Nice to see a face behind the name...thanks for sharing that young woman story with me so long ago...

And THANK YOU for the BIG BAG of candy...I think I had every Caramilk eaten within two days. Yum! They really hit the "spotra."

Sara said...

i love canadian friendssss

Alison Margot Lee said...

LOVE IT. you little cutie. HEY! I blogged. check it out.

Anonymous said...

You were mentored by the best ! Love Wendy S.