Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Valentine's Day



Why is it that some single people have such a hard time with Valentine's Day?

I have to tell you...I love it. I helped my brother with his Valentine's celebrations several years ago. It was GREAT to be a part of that. I was flattered actually that he trusted me to be his "partner in a love crime". I knew it was going to be something out of this world when he brought me some bones from a rather large, unknown animal. I needed to bake them in my oven to dry them out...we had to write a message on them you see. Ya...it was unique...and not so aromatic! But still...it was a FAVULOUS Valentine's Day adventure!

It's fun to watch what people come up with. The usual of course...chocolates, flowers, lingerie. And I've always wondered what men are thinking when they're standing in a See's Candies shop..."If I don't give her chocolates will she think I think she's fat?" I know...I have NO IDEA what men think. My marital status pretty much shows that, eh?

Anyway, back to the initial question. Today I happened upon an article entitled "Single on yet another Valentine's Day." I mean give me a break!!!

The thing is...the article really was all about dealing with being single on February 14th. After all the whining, and reading suggestions and quotes from the writer's perspective which can only be described as "I'm trying to believe this myself", I come to the climax of the piece—the alternative for single people on Valentine's Day. "Spend time with your family; plan an activity with other single friends or ward members. Show a little love to someone who could really use it, someone who's really feeling the sting of the season due to recent loss or discouragement and may just need a sympathetic ear."

So I'm thinking cliché, but at least she's trying hard to give singles some alternatives that will help them feel validated.

BUT in the next breath...well...the dam of bitterness crumbles and the writer's true feelings are revealed:

"But if you stay in, it's probably a good idea to not flip on the TV and get sucked into a sugary line-up of idealistic romantic comedies. If you're not sobbing by the second commercial break, you'll at least be wondering, "Why can't that happen to me?" "

What the... For the... SHEEPI!!!

I guess I'm an anomaly. I LOVE that my friends who have spouses and significant others have a day to share not only a gift or two, but MOST importantly, time together celebrating that wonderful thing called LOVE!!

So Happy Valentine's Day! And while you're enjoying a little smooching, think of all those singles who have nothing better to do in life than to sit and wonder "Why can't that happen to me?"

For me, I think I'll just sit and watch a sappy, idealistic romantic comedy...and actually LAUGH!!

4 comments:

Jennifer Lee said...

I am totally with you. What is not to love about a day set aside to tell the people you love how much they mean to you? It's wonderful! I always disliked the way people called it "Single Awareness Day" and had "Anti-Valentine's Day" parties. Just embrace the love!

Rachel said...

Good for you to have that attitude. Heck, a lot of married people watch those sappy movies and say, "Why can't that happen to me?!" So, really...it's not so different. Carl doesn't do the flowers or chocolates...the deal is I just don't have to cook, which is better than those anyway, I think. :)

Sara said...

I love the last picture. Isn't that Tara and Gary?? What are we doing for valentines day? I've never really ever celebrated it. Love youuu

Jenn -- said...

My Valentine's Day is all about birthday presents, birthday songs, birthday decor, birthday cake and birthday Emma.

No complaints here. Maybe the Lord gave me Emma on Valentine's Day because he knew I would be a Valentine's Day complainer... :)