Wednesday, October 7, 2009

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

Really. It's BIRTHDAY time. It's BELATED birthday time. BUT I was there to watch Juicy Brucey blow out his candles this year and even though I'm several days late, I couldn't resist...he was such a cute little guy and is such a great older brother!



Bruce and I share a few things. For instance...we're the only two members of our immediate family who were born in an EVEN year...and no I won't tell you WHICH ONE (you can figure it out from this picture). It's how I knew what candles to buy for his birthday cake (thank you CarolJ for working your magic...AGAIN!). We had a family reunion on Bruce's birthday and it was fun celebrating it with him!



Bruce and I go WAY back...back over 40 years actually. I don't think I've ever doubted that Bruce will be there for me, that he loves me, and is really concerned about my well-being.



Before Bruce went on his mission, he went up north to work. Grew a beard. Looked like some neanderthal...really...doesn't that remind you of the "so easy even a caveman can do it" ads? We were happy when he shaved it off.



He went on a mission...to Halifax...coldest place of any of my siblings. So cold that I'm sure he wished he still had his beard!! But he survived and came home to marry his high school sweetheart (thank you for waiting Lori).



After Bruce graduated with his law degree he worked with us in the law firm. It was fun to have Bruce there. He was good. He was kind. He had migraines and hid under his desk when they were really bad. That was the first time I realized that headaches could really debilitate a person.

So the years passed, and the kids grew, and Bruce and Lori decided to move to the state of Washington. Sad days for us left in Calgary. BUT...I have visited Bruce's place a few times now and they make me feel so happy to be there...it's so fun to be around Bruce and his family! Especially when there's root beer and donuts!!



Bruce has a tender heart. I remember when we helped Mom and Dad move from their home a couple of years ago. It made my heart happy as I watched Bruce sit with Mom and Dad and take care of them emotionally as they went through years and years of memories together.



Bruce isn't afraid to show his emotions either, something that I admire in him. He is not afraid to reach out to others. During our recent sibling reunion, we attended a session in the Rexburg temple. After Pres. Kinghorn shared some thoughts with us, Bruce came up to me and gave me a hug and said "I'm so glad you're here Carol." We have a little bond Bruce and I. He knows when I need those sorts of things, and isn't afraid to hug a porcupine.



So to my even-year-birthday-buddy, I congratulate you on becoming "odd" with me. Thanks so much for being such a wonderful brother Bruce...a SUPER EXAMPLE of trusting in the Lord and working hard to get things done. I hope your year will be full of wonderful experiences, lots of love, and the knowledge that this sister loves you back and thinks you are FABULOUS!!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Love all the pictures! Happy Birthday uncle Bruce. Love you.

Rachel said...

This was a nice tribute to your brother. It's nice to have one of those relationships...and really nice that you have someone else that's 'odd,' 'cause you're seriously the only odd person I know. ;)

Aubrey said...

I want to see some pictures of the sibling reunion!!