Saturday, October 31, 2009

Guinea Pig

Guinea Pig: a subject of research, experimentation, or testing

I know...weird birthday blog title but let me explain.


David married Linda May back in the '70s. She was our first "in-law" and as such, there was a lot we needed to learn with the reality of an expanding family. So let me name just two or three "research projects" where Linda May graciously accepted the role of "guinea pig".

Research Project #1
We already had a Linda when Linda came into the family. Since our Linda was the baby of the family, we decided to refer to them as Big Linda and Little Linda. But when Big Linda became pregnant, well, you can see where this is going...we had to think of something different quick so we just tacked on their middle names. Thanks for putting up with us as we learned the importance of choosing nicknames wisely.

Research Project #2
Having one grandchild/niece/nephew is a cinch. You just dote on them like crazy because it's such a new thing to have this little one around to entertain you. Joanne, Linda's first and OUR first, taught me that babies can be cute EVEN WHEN you're changing a messy diaper, or being thrown up on, or well, let's not get into all of that. Linda May brought her kids over often, as did my other siblings, and I learned that each new grandchild/niece/nephew has something unique and lovable that makes them...well...them! Thanks for letting me learn how to find joy in my nieces' and nephews' accomplishments, sorrow in their struggles, but most importantly, the peace in knowing that we're all connected through the eternities.


Research Project #3
I remember lots of trips home where we've ended up over at Linda's place for a family dinner. Now it's not a HUGE place, but Linda has been able to fit tables into lots of rooms so there is a place for EVERYONE! And it's not just our family either...Linda always makes room for a few extras who need to be a part of the festivities, or don't have family in town, or just need to feel included. Linda has shown us that there's ALWAYS room for more than just ourselves.



I don't want you to think that Linda's just a research project though. However, I do admire her as she forged ahead and learned right along with us the intricacies of "in-lawing."

Linda has taught me that being with family is the most important thing...even if you have to travel to

Atlanta


Edmonton


New York


Chicago or Boston.


She's taught me, by example, the importance of supporting your spouse in whatever calling he/she has. Thank you for that.

We had a sibling reunion a few weeks ago. Mom and Dad had such a fabulous time! I was so grateful that David and Linda planned this "first", and even more grateful that they helped Mom and Dad make it down.



But, it reminded me of something I am most appreciative of...and that is the trip Mom and Dad took with David and Linda to Alaska. It was Mom's dream to go to Alaska...and I was so happy that they were able to help Mom and Dad make that trip! I know I blogged about it on David's birthday blog, but we all know it takes more than a son to accomplish that. Thank you Linda for all you did for them!!



I can't say that it's always been fun for Linda May to be our "test subject" but I know I have learned, and continue to learn, what it means to be a sister-in-law through her willingness to put up with the research projects! Hope you had a FABULOUS birthday Linda. I love you!

6 comments:

Diane said...

Cute post Carol and happy birthday Linda!

John Salmon said...

I'm sure it was hard for my mom to be the first in-law in our crazy, large famiy so thank you for reminding me of some things about her for which I need to be more grateful.

Love ya, John

Calloways said...

Love the grandkids halloween pic! Seeing the coats reminded of what it was really like as a child in Canada!! Happy Birthday Linda.

Scott Salmon said...

Those costumes are pretty awesome, especially John's. That is a nice pink bunny suit, John, that will be perfect for Anya in a few years!

Joanne Salmon said...

Thanks for that lovely post!! I know my mom was very touched. I was too! We sure appreciate you doing these posts to remind us of how much we love our moms/dads/aunts/uncles. You're great!!
P.S. I also love the Hallowe'en photo, I haven't seen a picture of Grandma Eva for awhile - also WHAT was I wearing???!!!

Kathryn said...

love the pictures! I always love your posts!