Monday, February 23, 2009

SHELVES, TARTS, & WHITE CHOCOLATE POPCORN

I have these friends....well, I think after this weekend they're ALMOST family...but for now let's just call them my friends.

These girls are serious worcueses. They have a knack for writing things that make me laugh. They also do very nice things that lately, I've been a recipient of.

THEME SHELF
Take for instance the "theme" shelf. I'd never heard of a theme shelf before....in fact it took me awhile to figure out what it really was. But the other day my friend CarolJ says, "hey, I think a theme shelf would look really good on this wall. Jeanell would LOVE to MAKE you one...soooooo....how wide is that wall anyway?" Hmmm....I'm a little wary of mothers who tell me their daughters would LOVE to make something...something that isn't just a crocheted dishcloth...but...not wanting to disappoint my friend or her daughter I say, "You think? Wow...I'd hate to have her go to all that trouble (feigning concern that JeanellM has recently had a cute baby girl WHO, incidentally has FOUR older brothers), but I respond with "You think I need one? Jeanell would REALLY do that for me? Well, that'd be great!" And in less than two weeks I'm sitting looking at my theme shelf...hung and nicely decorated by CarolJ...all the while thinking...this was MEANT to be on my wall!! I can't believe how BLESSED I am to have JeanellM and CarolJ in my life! WEHEW!! I owe you something wonderful JM...maybe a new pair of M Jeans!



TARTS and WHITE CHOCOLATE POPCORN
Tonight I got a free meal at RachelM's. A FABULOUS three-courser. Not only did I get a bowl of soup but a lovely salad, a roll and....drum roll.....two Soelberg Cream Tarts!! Okay...gotta tell you...these are GREAT tarts...it's some kind of multi-generational Soelberg family recipe...I think it's one of those recipes that EVERY family has...the kind that are hard to share...but anyway, I don't think I'll ask for it....my philosophy on this? Well, if someone you know has mastered something so well, why try to make it yourself? Just go over to their place and ask them to whip up a batch. It's like that white chocolate popcorn. There's only one REAL WAY to make it...so why should I attempt to duplicate the real stuff? No....I'll just wait for when my friends who know how to make it RIGHT, whip up a batch so I can nibble on the stuff.

RachelM was taunting me though...as her mother was busily engaged in conversation on the laptop, RachelM is dangling family recipe after family recipe right before my eyes. I'm trying to act nonchalant...but all the while making an effort to commit each one to memory. All I remember is something about NOT using baking soda in the cream tart filling, and NEVER catching a glimpse of that white chocolate popcorn recipe!!

So....thank you friends! You have done wonders for my townhome AND my happy tastebuds!!

5 comments:

Alison Margot Lee said...

Carol, your shelf looks beautiful! You just need your drapes!!!!! (Diane on Alison's account - she is always signed in!)

Jeanell said...

The shelf does look great on that wall! I am glad I could help contribute to the C.S. townhome. It was fun creating again (it had been a while). We are lucky to have such an exprogic fish for a friend/family member!
I bet you had to move your Hula Hoop before taking that picture.

Aubrey said...

carol! your shelf looks incredible! they did a great job. i can't wait to see it in person!

Rachel said...

Funny you use the word taunt...I was offering them to you! :)It was nice having another dinner guest, who helped create the dinner, nonetheless! And I don't care what you say, you-know-who really is picky about sharing recipes and white chocolate popcorn is one that should not be kept a secret! You let me know when you need a little extra editing...I'd do a bartmou of a job!

jefferies family said...

Soelberg multi-generation Tart recipe?!? In reference to generations, does mean generations to come??? hmmm......Carol you crack me up!!