Friday, February 6, 2009

Sleep Deprivation


I thought I beat this little problem I've been having...until Wednesday night when sleep eluded me. And then it happened AGAIN last night...FINALLY fell asleep at 3:30 am! Not bad...if you don't have to wake up by 7 am to get to work...

Funny that while I was driving to work a VERY LONG radio ad played...all about your "sleep number" and when you find your "sleep number" you'll never have a problem with sleeping again...ya right...they just want to sell you a bed that's anywhere between $2,000 and $5,000.

But when I came into the office...and AFTER I scrounged around for an Excedrin and popped that...I decided to find out how many hours of sleep I really need...and if I fall short on a regular basis, what will happen to me? And what did I find? Well, here's what my doctor on WebMD told me...isn't it funny that people actually use WebMD to diagnose their ailments instead of seeing a REAL doctor...anyway, here's some of the IMPORTANT stuff:

• Most adults need 7 to 8 hours a night for the best amount of sleep, although some people may need as few as 5 hours or as many as 10 hours of sleep each day.

• The amount of sleep a person needs also increases if he or she has been deprived of sleep in previous days. Getting too little sleep creates a "sleep debt," which is much like being overdrawn at a bank. Eventually, your body will demand that the debt be repaid.

• Too little sleep may cause memory problems, depression, a weakening of your immune system, and an increase in perception of pain.

All I know is, I've been overdrawn from the sleep bank for a few weeks soooo....I'm glad I'm not someone who:

• depends on a memory to stay employed
• has had bad things happen to them lately
• is constantly around REALLY SICK people (physically, mentally that's just normal)
• works as an undercover agent susceptible to being captured and tortured

I will admit that I have put a plastic covering over my computer here at work in case I fall asleep and start drooling today...don't want to cause a power outage now do I? Well....maybe....then I could go home and start paying back the debt I owe!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Man, you and my mom need to go pick out your My Comfort beds together...now...before you start acting crazy! Wait...too late.

Jeanell said...

I think your sleep deprivation has brought about some fun and interesting topic. But please don't stay up late for my pleasure. Oh yea... I think I saw you on the spoken word, weren't you the one with your eyes closed, music upside down and mouth moving in different directions then the rest?